Sunday, April 3, 2011

Introduction



The journey begins:

The purpose of this blog is to raise awareness about the plight of the Galgo, the Spanish greyhound, and about adoption.  I plan to update this blog regularly.

Background:

A few years ago, I saw an article about the Galgos in my, "Celebrating Greyhounds" magazine.  Being involved in greyhound rescue and adoption in North America, and loving the breed, gave me the heart to want to learn more about the Galgo and how I could possibly make a difference.

From the article, and my research on the Internet, I learned about Project Scooby in Medina del Campo, ES (http://www.scoobymedina.org/en/about_us/index.html).  Here's more information about the organization from the site:  Scooby started out in 1987 as a shelter under poor conditions, providing refuge for the stray cat and dog population and the numerous Galgos (Spanish bred sighthounds) discarded mainly by the local coursing fraternity in the area of Medina del Campo, Valladolid. Scooby is being lead since years by its honorary president Fermín Pérez, in daily life a science teacher at the main senior school in Medina del Campo.

Adopting a Galgo:

My husband and I want to welcome a Galgo into our family, so I connected with two coordinators to discuss adoption and volunteering at the Scooby Medina site, Eva and Diane.  These wonderful volunteers do so much for the organization. It is amazing!  Eva coordinates all of the adoptions for NA and EMEA, and Diane coordinates all of the volunteer visits, logistics of getting the dogs to their homes, fund-raising, the Scooby store, and much more.  Such great hearts and such special people!

All of this is very exciting! I'm traveling to Medina del Campo 4/27 - 5/2 to volunteer at the Scooby Rescue Centre, and to bring my adoptee home.  I think she will be a beautiful Galgo, named "Bless".  You can see photos of her on the Scooby website.

You!

I would encourage you to visit the Scooby site, read about the Galgos and other animals, the organization, and watch the videos.  It'll give you a good idea of what all of this is about:  http://www.scoobymedina.org/en/about_us/index.html


Heartfelt thanks for your support! Please support Scooby!
Muchas gracias! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment