Thursday, April 30, 2020

19th Visit to Spain and Scooby Dashed by COVID-19

Wishing I Was There at Scooby
The Best-Laid Plans 
Everything was set. We had our flights, hotels, rental car, pet/house sitter (my Scooby friend, Melissa, from the U.K.) and plans to meet up with three fellow Scooby volunteers from the East Coast, in Madrid.  We were to leave on May 1st.  We had planned to stay a few days in Madrid, then on to Medina del Campo and Scooby to volunteer, then on to Salamanca and Porto. After that, back to Madrid and side trips to Toledo and Segovia.  My husband, who usually stays at home with our five dogs, was to join me on this trip. It would have been another dream vacation.

But all of our dreams were dashed weeks ago, as we saw the Coronavirus/COVID-19 taking over the World.  It is so sad that so many have lost their lives and are so very sick, and that we cannot live our normal lives. Sadly, we don't yet see the end in sight.
I Miss My Scooby Friends, Margot and Nancy, Whom We Were to Travel With
I Miss My Scooby Friend Tony, Whom We Were to Travel With

I Miss My Scooby Friend, Melissa, Whom Was to House/Pet Sit
Here with Bones (She Helped Save His Life)

Celebrating My 9 Year Anniversary Volunteering for Scooby - This Year from Home
Nine years years ago in April, I visited Scooby for the first time, to volunteer and to bring back my first adopted Galga, Bless. (Our lovely girl is a perfect dog and doing great.)  In total, Ive made 18 volunteer visits to Scooby, many times bringing dogs to the U.S.A. for adoption. It is sad that I cannot make my19th visit.  Hoping for later this year or, more likely, Spring of 2021.
Our First Galga, Bless, is a Blessing

Why Galgos?
Often, I am asked why I go all the way to Spain to rescue dogs. The answer is: because I can and it is in my heart to do so.  My love of Greyhounds led me to learning about the plight of the Galgos in Spain.  I read an article in my Greyhound magazine, which caused me to research further.  I was astounded to learn that thousands of Galgos are mistreated, abused, neglected, abandoned, dumped and killed every year, especially at the end of hunting season (in February), when they are deemed to no longer be useful by their Galgueros. 

Many people think that, because they are related to the Greyhound, they are used for racing in Spain. They are not. They are used for hunting and coursing competitions between the Galgueros.  They cruelly run their dogs on leashes beside their cars or motorcycles to 'train' them.  They breed them at will, then cull the lot to select those they believe will be the best hunters.  They don't feed them much because they believe that will make them better hunters.  When they compete, they meet at large open areas, set loose a hare, set loose their Galgos, and whichever Galgo catches the hare wins, or rather their Galguero wins. 


Galgueros Want to Win
When I first visited Scooby, which is in the heart of the Galgo hunting area,  I noticed that the locals in Medina del Campo looked at us as kind of freakish.  They watched us in the grocery stores, shops and restaurants, as though we were a bit strange.  Why would people come from all across the globe to volunteer in rugged conditions to save dogs that many think of as vermin?  I often think of it this way, which may help you understand.  They are not seen as pets, they are a tool, like a farm animal, disposable. They do not matter, unless they can win.

The Mistreatment of Galgos is Often Called, "Spain's Shame"
Why Spain?
Nine years later, I do notice a difference. Whether they admit it or not, those of us who visit Spain, and rescue these dogs, have brought a lot of prosperity to the Country. Spain is so very lovely. Everyone should go there.  After the U.S., it's my favorite Country. The people and the places are so beautiful. And please know that, like the U.S. here, many people in Spain do not agree with the animal abuse that happens there.  It drives me bonkers when people judge all of Spain because of a few pockets of people.  When Spain is open again, go there. It will change your life for the better.

I Miss My Beloved Madrid
Why Scooby?
I'm not sure if I found Scooby or Scooby found me.  I reached out to a very kind Facebook friend to learn about adopting a Galgo. She sent me the contact information of a very kind Scooby volunteer. I corresponded with her, filled out the adoption papers and selected Bless. The biggest challenge with adopting a Galgo, or any animal from another country, is having someone to transport the animal to you.  I decided to do my own transport for Bless.  There were two other very kind volunteers going to Spain who invited me to join them. Everything worked out, and I was able to go.  I fell in love with the place, the dogs, the cause and the rest is now a nine year history.  

Being there is humbling and grounding.  It is very basic work, cleaning paddocks and pens, socializing with the dogs and cats, helping with the food and transports, and doing whatever is needed.  You can make such a difference each and every day, in very simple ways.
It's Hard to Explain, But This Place Feeds My Soul

Supporting Scooby from Afar

As you can imagine, all of the attention is on Coronavirus/COVID-19. People are hurting, and we need to help in every way that we can.  But I believe that we can both help people and animals.  If it is in your heart to help causes, such as needy animal shelters, do it! There isn't a whole lot we can do right now, while we are in lockdown.  But on the other hand, we can do some very powerful things, such as help raise awareness, donate, help raise funds and advocate.  Here are some great things that have been done recently to help Scooby:
Everything helps, so let's keep it going. If you have ideas, and you think that I can assist, please let me know.

In My Dreams
Some nights, my dreams of Scooby are so real, I feel like I've had another visit.  For the Star Trekkies, I so wish that I could beam myself there whenever I want. For the Whovians, I wish the Doctor would pick us up in the TARDIS and drop us there. 

Wishing I Was at Scooby
Until I can return, I will do what I can to help.  I will love and spoil my two Scooby Galgos, Bless and Bones (Huesos) and Scooby Podenco, Levi,  Galga, Sara, and Greyhound, Brody. I will donate my money and time whenever possible. I will help to raise awareness, advocate and be another voice for helping to save the most precious Gaglos.
Soon, Scooby, Soon
Hasta Luego! Thank you for reading my blog. Bless sends her blessings. Sara sends smiles. Bones sends kisses and hugs. Levi sends happiness.

Our lovely Galga, Bless
Our gorgeous Galga, Sara

Our regal Galgo, Bones
Our handsome Podenco, Levi



No comments:

Post a Comment