Saturday, February 29, 2020

18th Visit to Scooby - I Love This Place!


Sweet Scooby Galgo Waiting for Love
8 Years and 18 Visits to Scooby 
My 18th visit to Spain and Scooby in September/October 2019, proved to be another very special, rewarding and fulfilling trip. I had the now-normal flight delay from San Diego to Dallas to Madrid and arrived a few hours later than planned in Madrid.
Madrid is One of My Favorite Cities 
Met up with my travel companion, Nancy, at the cozy Hostel Barrera. Had a nap and then went to a lovely neighborhood tapas spot.  Later that evening, we wandered in the neighborhood and stumbled upon a teeny cool old restaurant that had an excellent jazz band.  
Super Cool Jazz Band We Stumbled Upon
We waited for our third companion, Margot, and let her settle in for our adventures. Together, we did so many wonderful and fun things, including visiting unique restaurants and bars, shops, sightseeing, tours, and we so enjoyed each other’s company.
My Two Lovely Travel Companions, Margot and Nancy
We traveled to Scooby Medina del Campo, on the fast train this time, my first. Drops you at a location just outside of Medina. Cabs are always inexpensive and friendly drivers locally. Easy to get to Scooby to meet the Staff and check in. Ended up that it was a very busy time of year for tourism in Medina. I think because this area of Spain is becoming popular for wineries. Luckily, I had booked a room at Hotel la Mota, prefer Reina Isabel, but all booked at that time. Margot and I shared a room, which was very affordable, and Nancy stayed in a Scooby Casa.
Scooby is So Special to Me 
At Scooby, we met and loved as many animals as we could. We cleaned paddocks and helped wherever needed. There were other Slovenian volunteers there, doing very important medical work, which we are grateful for. We also met up with the Daphne Legacy Tour Fall team, who has now brought over 100 Scooby Galgos to the USA for adoption through greyhound groups. God bless them for this noble work that they do. 
This is a very good time of year to visit the shelter. There are so many animals who need homes, and good work is being done every day to place them. Scooby has transports that go out monthly to European countries: Holland, Germany, France, Italy, Slovenia, among others. Canada and the USA are also very important adoption partners, which is heartwarming. Nancy, Margot and I met so many lovely animals, and we always have our specials in each paddock, usually because they need that extra love and protection. 
Scooby Galgos Want Your Love
So Many Dogs to Love, I'm Always in Heaven! 

Butterfly and Lucas Coming to California
I met my two Galgos, to be adopted via Greyhound Friends for Life, the most breathtaking Butterfly (now Lily Electra) and Lucas, the most handsome one. Lily was selected for adoption by a wonderful California couple, prior to my visit, and Lucas was selected by me because he needed to get out of the shelter and into a home ASAP. Both were a joy, even in the shelter, which says a lot about their temperament and character. 
Butterfly, Now Lily Electra, Living the BIG Life in California 
Lucas Was Adopted Quickly by a Family in Northern California

Back to Madrid
 
Nancy, Margot and I stayed a few more nights at another very fine hostel in Madrid, visited more super-cool haunts and had a blast. Nancy left one day before me and traveled through JFK, bringing more Galgos to the USA. Margot stayed another several days to visit the South of Spain for other adventures.
Me and Margot Having a Glass of Blue Wine in Madrid

Coming Home
 
Scooby’s Marcos brought my two Galgos to the Madrid airport and everything went very smoothly. Had a direct Iberian flight to San Francisco this time, which was a dream. Once we arrived, I waited for over 90 minutes for the dogs to be delivered in the cargo area. The Customs agents helped me expedite and then were so kind about checking their paperwork and passing us through. Margery and Bill were eagerly awaiting Lily’s arrival, and rock star Julie was waiting for Lucas, both just outside the gate. My Sister, Mary, and Brother-in-law, Dan, along with a special guest, one of my college housemates, Christa, all came to pick me up at the airport. We had a delicious dinner and then time to catch up. It was another magical trip!
Lily and Lucas Coming to Their Forever Homes in the USA

19th Trip Plans
Once again, another fulfilling trip, my 18th. Stay tuned for my 19th. Darrell and I plan to travel and meet up with dear Scooby friends (coronavirus permitting), Nancy, Margot and Tony and meeting up at the shelter in early May, with extra time touring Spain and Portugal. Melissa, my dear friend will house and pet sit for us. We wanted to bring 2-4 Galgos back for adoption via Greyhound Friends for Life, but have run into issues with our booking upon return. Still hoping to work with Iberian Airlines to be able to bring dogs back. Seems such a shame to go all of that way and not be able to save a few more precious souls. 
Hasta Luego! Thank you for reading my blog. Bless sends her blessings. Sara sends smiles. Bones sends kisses and hugs. Levi sends happiness.
Our lovely Galga, Bless
Our gorgeous Galga, Sara


Our regal Galgo, Bones
Our handsome Podenco, Levi

Traveling to Spain? Consider becoming a Flight Angel and transporting dogs to the U.S.A.
Help Scooby build the NEW and much needed Puppy Shelter in 2020.


No comments:

Post a Comment